Sunday, October 20, 2013

Game On!

Back in my internet dating days, which was a nightmare I am now two years removed from, there was a phrase that I often ran across while reading potential date's profiles. No games. Which always made me wonder. No games at all? Not even fun harmless ones like flirting? Come on! It's a type of social interaction that allows for us to get to know each other, test out the tentative feeling of the situation, an opportunity to practice reading each others' social cues! How about clever and fast paced word play? It's stimulating and challenging! Or at the other end of the spectrum we have elaborate and complex game-playing that sets you up for an inevitably painful and humiliating fall. But seriously, who has the time and patience to put that much effort into an ultimately unsatisfying venture? Well, okay, genuine sickos maybe. But isn't that character building that you'll eventually be grateful for? Perhaps fodder for a future best-selling novel? As ever, I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Teasing with no intention of following through. Avoiding the truth when asked a clear and simple question. Cruel manipulation to get what you want with no regard for another's feelings. These would be games to avoid. Leaving me further wondering why anyone would be so upfront about how emotionally damaged they might be from previous involvement with game-players! Which tended to make me pass over their profile with no further interest in meeting them. We all have baggage and pain but do we really need to discuss how defensive you feel before we even have coffee together? My preference is kindness and honesty and the time it takes to discover and cherish that which draws you to another human. And in case you're interested in what I want from a man, I spell it out pretty clearly here. No games. Except I promise I will kick your ass at backgammon.

No comments: