Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bloomin' Cactus


This series of photos following the progress of my cactus in bloom was taken over a period of two weeks with the final one taken earlier today. Around the end of November it set dozens of buds but none of them opened. Each day I'd check on it and one by one the tiny pink buds dried up and dropped off. Then just a little over a month ago this solitary gigantic bud appeared. And it has opened! While I've been watching my hoya with great scrutiny, it seems that there will be no blossoms again this year. In years past it was covered with flowers for most of the month of March and then a second bloom toward the middle of the summer. While I'm a little disappointed that feeling didn't last for long while observing this beautiful flower slowly open its petals. Down in the basement we have a riot of blooms on all three New Guinea Impatiens plants as well a couple of surprise lavender flowers popping up on the vinca vine. The Vernal Equinox may not arrive until this Wednesday, but it feels like spring in the house!








2 comments:

AndiBean said...

Ooh, I think the almost-in-bloom ones are my favorites! Simply lovely :)

Bellona of Avalon said...

It's that state of anticipation.