Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baking With Bellona

Last week, after a couple of experimental tries, I baked up what I like to call the ultimate pumpkin bread. Nothing phony here, boys and girls. No high fructose corn syrup, no trans fatty acids. Yes, there is butter and sugar. But in reasonable amounts. I pretty much reworked my banana bread recipe and added spices. So, if you're interested in whipping up a delicious treat that's so healthy you can eat it for breakfast totally guilt free, give this a shot.



Spiced Pumpkin Bread

4 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

These are the dry ingredients, children. Measure into a bowl and stir together until the spices are evenly distributed and set aside. Feel free to adjust the spices to your personal preference.

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter

Cream these together til smooth. I do this in my stand mixer, but you can be a trouper and do it by hand if you wish. Then add:

2 eggs
1 can Libby's pumpkin 

I always use Libby's. She has never failed me. If you use something else, unless of course it's pumpkin from your own garden that you prepared yourself, I cannot take responsibility. Use the 14 oz can, or whatever size it is that makes one pie. If it's your own, I would say 2 cups ought to do it. Can we move on now?

At this point, you should have a smooth and lovely creamed together batter. Now add those sifted together dry ingredients and blend just until you can't see any flour. Then slowly add 1/2 cup buttermilk and stir til smooth. You may bake a nut free version if you like, but I recommend adding 1 1/2 to 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts. Then divide the batter into 8 small greased or non-stick loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. The house will smell wonderful. Enjoy with coffee or a tall glass of cold milk.
   

No comments: