Thursday, October 13, 2011

BotD


What a wonderful concept. The benefit of the doubt. Owning up to the fact that you really don't know all the details. That you don't possess supreme knowledge. That there likely is information beyond your ability to assess at this point in time. Extending a certain generosity to another human being that you care about or are interested in or intrigued by. Which brings us to this morning. And Reg. And the possibility that some men may only have a three date limit before their shelf life expires. If today is snapshot day, where we take a representative picture of how this relationship is going to be, then I can confidently say that I'm not in it for the long haul. Enter benefit of the doubt. Where I'm willing to take a longer view. Where the older, wiser, clearer me is aware that this could just be a difficult time for him. Where I still have hope that this could be the real deal. Where I admit that I don't attach easily, but neither do I think of another human being as disposable. Where, at least for a while longer, I can let go of darker thoughts and nagging assumptions. That today may not be snapshot day. So. Yes. I'm still interested in Reg. Because life can be messy. And sometimes gracious acceptance outweighs the demands of understanding.

No comments: