Monday, November 8, 2010

Anniversary

Six years ago today I walked through the doors of the seed lab for my first day on the job. Paperwork. Introductions. Learning things about seeds and the ag/industrial complex that I never imagined could be. So much was interesting. And dirty and dusty and requiring various levels of Personal Protective Equipment. I was good at what I did. I volunteered to organize a system for the storage of the seed samples in my department. In the four years I was responsible for as many as 100,000 corn and soybean customer samples at a time, not a single one was lost. A handful were misplaced and I found them anyway. I won Employee Performance of the Month honors for this achievement. An award that is nominated and voted on by fellow workers. Over time, I developed tendinitis in my wrists and hands, along with a sesitivity to latex gloves. Today I returned to the lab after an absence of twelve weeks. I didn't know the code for the security door, and a new face behind the reception desk buzzed me through. I barely lasted two hours. As I suspected, they were not able to accomodate my most recent work restrictions. The final humiliation was being unable to open the fire door into the research area. I want my hands to heal. I would rather be working. I miss so many people that I passed so many days with accomplishing as well as exceeding so many work goals. Happy anniversary to me.

2 comments:

LindaCO said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope they can get things adjusted so you can get around and do your job. You can expect your hands to only get better, yes? I suppose, though, you have to do things differently now so you don't re-injure them.

We have a seed lab here in Fort Collins - I dream of landing a job there, doing genetic stuff...

Bellona of Avalon said...

This continuing saga of my hand problems is affecting not only my workability, but has invaded my personal life to a very unpleasant degree. Work Comp is a miserable system of medical care that is designed to wear you down rather than heal you. The doctor writes work restrictions that he knows my place of employment cannot accommodate in order to pass the buck of decision making on to them. Yesterday it was akin to trying to do my job while walking around with my hands in my pockets. The doctor has the final say as far as Work Comp is concerned, so the ball ends up bouncing back to him anyway. Meanwhile, I'm in pain and have difficulty with the smallest of tasks, including dressing myself, grocery shopping, cooking a meal, the most basic of personal tasks like trimming my fingernails! I have been recommended for physical therapy again, I'm just waiting on approval so we can schedule the appointments.