Saturday, June 12, 2010

Screened Porch



After spending nearly a week with Pam in Georgia, I have become convinced that my life will be much more complete if I have a screened porch. We spent a great deal of time relaxing in Pam's porch, enjoying the view of her lovely back yard. So comfy in a wicker rocking chair with a puppy resting in your lap. A cup of coffee in hand, still in our pajamas, so much of a morning can be exquisitely whiled away and feel well spent. Evenings were much the same, only replace the coffee with a beer or glass of wine. As the sun set, sparkly lit areas of the creek would shift along the surface of the water as the light through the trees became more slanted. Fireflies emerged and blinked their tiny bioluminescent glow amongst the flowers and lush green plants. This morning I'm looking over my shoulder and out the patio door, observing a good soaking rain that may well last the whole day. Raindrops splat gently on the surface of the backyard deck and the leaves of the potted plants. And I find myself thinking, what if that deck had a roof on it, and was screened all around. The roof sheltering the area from the weather and the screen keeping out all manner of pesky bugs, especially the mosquitoes. Sigh. I could sit in a rocking chair and look out into the yard in a generally south, southeastern direction, then close my eyes and imagine Miss Pam and Bella and ZuZu out on their screened porch. For a moment, at least in spirit, we will be together once more.

No comments: