Sunday, July 5, 2009

Being There


There they are, the famous red shoes.



Garrison Keillor is a very gracious, highly entertaining, self-effacing man. He has the deepest, old soul eyes. He bounced about in the mid-eighties heat like a man thirty years his junior. He signed my copy of Liberty. And seemed amazed that a woman of Norwegian and Scottish heritage could survive over two hours in the very direct midsummer sun. I adore him.


Some very obliging and generous locals let me squeeze into a space just big enough for me and my pink chair. Center section, tenth row. I can now say that I have been to Lake Wobegon, or at the very least, that I have been to Avon, Minnesota. Indeed, the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and the children are above average.

1 comment:

Ed said...

He is a smart guy and seems to be really decent. That's something these days!