Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Grillin' in the Rain

It's fun to watch the raindrops hiss as they fall on the grill cover. A little evening warm front shower doesn't stop this Grillin' Goddess from getting dinner on the table. And this was the menu at our house tonight:

Salmon - Grilled to perfection after being marinated in pineapple juice, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and a generous grind of black pepper.

Broccoli - Steamed to a brilliant green and topped with lemon butter.

Basmati Rice - Simmered in chicken broth with butter and a finely diced onion.

Irish Soda Bread - From Baking With Julia, traditionally breakfast fare, but I love it with the evening meal.

The 16yo son had milk with his dinner, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of Bridgeview Blue Moon Oregon Riesling 2006. A little bit of heaven available for ten bucks in a lovely cobalt blue bottle. Best when lightly chilled, which just happens to be the temperature in my basement wine cabinet. Leftovers are packed up for my lunch tomorrow (sans vino) and for the older son who is expected soon to retrieve his clean laundry. I love summer. I love Wednesdays off!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

YUM! That beats the tar out of the crummy dinner we made here! PBJ's and baby carrots.

My picky son would have eaten everything you made tonight. Salmon, broccoli and rice are his favorites.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I love PBJ's! And baby carrots! Guess what, my picky eater won't eat either of those things! I don't get inspired and cook like this every day. I do love to cook so I try to throw together something mildly impressive at least a couple times a month. Often it's not any fancier than chicken tenders and frozen corn.