Sunday, April 20, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Think I'm finally over my vacation hangover. You know, that nagging feeling that you need a day or two off to recover from all that time off. I've had a nice, relaxing weekend of rearranging furniture and garage cleaning and crawling out from under a mammoth pile of laundry. Part of garage cleaning entailed setting out numerous containers of recyclable materials that have been accumulating over the winter. I know, they do pick up that stuff even during the winter months. I admit that I'm a minimalist when it comes to snow removal, and that end of the driveway business where the snowplow deposits a hefty heap of large, hard-packed chunks leaves me to carve out just enough room to gain access to the street. Making it difficult to set out the recyclables until the spring thaw rids the driveway of that crusty, frozen ridge. And now I'm mildly annoyed that in addition to the paper, cans, and plastics being hauled away, my containers for the stuff disappeared as well. My only explanation is curb shoppers who mistook my recycling containers for fair game. Shame on them! Even when these containers blew halfway down the block due to the brisk prairie breeze they were returned by thoughtful neighbors. From now on I'll use cardboard boxes and be free of wondering where those totes could have wandered off to. I need to issue a public thanks to my elder son who cleaned up the kitchen for my return. And to Mom specifications! The younger son fared well while I was gone and even said he missed me. Could this be a sign of maturity? Gives a mother hope. Back to the forty hour week tomorrow and I certainly hope that I'm up for it. In a mere six weeks summer work hours shall begin and I must say I'm looking forward to that! Almost as good as anticipating the last day of school.

No comments: