Saturday, October 6, 2007

Unsaid

I'm a little outspoken. I try to keep tabs on blurting out totally inappropriate things. I do what I tell my kids to do. Read the room before you open your mouth! And most of the time I do. Sometimes I keep quiet when I should have spoken up, and those are the times I regret the most. I can easily tolerate opening my mouth and appearing the fool or the life of the party or the child who notices that the emperor is naked. I rarely have said anything to deliberately hurt someone or cause them to feel badly. Sometimes I inadvertently do just that. And when I do, I readily and sincerely apologize once I remove my foot from my mouth. I have thought at times that my marriage failed due to so much that was left unsaid. Once said and out in the light, so many things could have been resolved and healed rather than being left to fester within. Words unsaid, the road not taken, opportunities not recognized. Although I've had my share of enlightening moments that have shaken me like thunderbolts out of a clear blue sky. Aha!! moments can leave you stricken and speechless but also have a habit of arriving quietly and gently, enveloping you with warmth and wonder and feel as though they were always there. Just waiting for you to be aware enough to comprehend their meaning. Someday I'll learn to whisper rather than shout, to be subtle rather than obvious. And I sure hope the wisdom to know which way to go comes along with the package.

No comments: