Monday, August 6, 2007

August?

By golly, it's August! Has been for nearly a week. August is that long, slow slide into the end of summer and the start of a new school year. In a few short weeks my sons will be sophomores, the elder one in college, the younger one in high school. Last school year they were my freshman. Kinda handy how that works out. I recommend spacing your children four years apart so you, too, can experience this little bit of synchronicity. Attended a big bash over the weekend, friends were celebrating 25 years of marriage and also their impending fiftieth birthdays. It was nice. There was music, a "love boat" cruise, great food, a number of enjoyable people to chat with, and I must say the most varied assortment of alcohol suitable for shots that I have ever seen. Even some cinnamon flavored stuff with gold flakes floating around in the bottle. I had some. It was tasty. And I'm fighting the urge to check for sparkles in the toilet. The summer painting project is nearly complete, I do need to procure a gallon of one color and maybe just a quart of another to finish up properly. And I must say I am very pleased with the result. Everything looks bright and fresh and new around here. Except for the normal household maintenance that I've been neglecting due to my immersion in the paint. Parts of the house look fabulous and others look severely neglected. So if you take an average, things look pretty okay. I'm doing some serious cleaning out and tossing of stuff as I prepare each room for painting. Resulting in a little less clutter, a little more order and a few surprises, like, oh!, that's where that got to! Sometimes that's the only reason I end up thoroughly cleaning a room, or maybe just the accumulated mess on the countertop in the kitchen. Because I can't find something. My short-term memory isn't totally shot quite yet, so I think maybe I should get my house in order before that begins to happen. That's it! I'll establish such an impeccable and logical routine for my day that even when I begin to lose it, I can just go on automatic and fool everyone. Maybe even including myself. Maybe I'm doing that already. And blame things that go wrong on the cats. You've gotta have a plan, even if it's a lousy one.

No comments: