Sunday, July 29, 2007

Snowball Effect

I was just going to paint. Really. A new coat of paint just spiffs up the place, makes everything look fresh and clean. And all was well with the main floor paint job. I had no desire to change the drapes, buy new furniture or get the bug to completely and totally redecorate. Everything was fine. Then I started on the stairwell. When the top half of that was painted, complete with a new light fixture and a festive apple-themed decorating scheme, some sort of madness consumed me. The basement family room suddenly looked dreary and hopelessly outdated. I tried to ignore the feeling but it wouldn't go away. Then I went shopping. I was just looking! It was a go downtown and look at the crazy daze stuff but we're mostly going to eat thing. We should have gone straight to Cubby's patio for a burger and sweet potato fries. But we walked through a furniture store instead!!! Where I found a very nice table and chairs for an absolutely unbelievably low price. So I bought it. When the two nice young men delivered it the next day, the old rug the new table and chairs were sitting on looked, well, completely wrong. Wrong color, wrong texture, wrong style. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The snowball effect had begun. New rugs soon followed. And I fear a new couch is next, with new lamps hot on its tail. For crying out louder than necessary!!! This is the family room! Teenage boys sit in this room with the lights off and play video games and watch movies and spill food! They don't care how it looks in there! And it all starts with an innocent little coat of paint. I have been bitten and the madness has begun. Or else it's the full moon. I wonder if the Wolfman redecorates every month. His wife probably has to, what with all his mad shredding of everything in sight when he transforms into his more hirsute persona. And I thought pms was nasty.

No comments: