Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Clearly Now

I am wearing my new glasses. And that is something new as far as the computer is concerned. For the last three years or so I have been in denial about the fact that I might possibly need bifocals. I took off my glasses that correct my myopia and left them everywhere. I took them off to facilitate seeing things close up. Stuff like reading, sewing, beading. Using my computer. Then when I needed to focus further away than the end of my nose I'd have to search for them. My glasses. Which is difficult when you can't focus much further than the end of your nose. So when I got my eyes examined, which to be honest, is part of my head, I broke down and got continuous bifocals. So now I can see clearly up close, across the room, and everywhere in between. I have not experienced such an astonishing improvement in vision since I was fit with my very first pair of glasses at the age of eight. And the very same thing immediately occurred to me. I could distinguish the individual leaves on the trees! No longer indistinct green blobs but sharp, clear shades of green with depth and distinction. I can see clearly now. It makes me think that I should have broken down and bought the bifocals ages ago. But we don't see until we're ready to see. In more ways than one. And I understand that so much more clearly now than I did a week ago. I wonder if it's the glasses.

No comments: