Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sure Things Part Deux

Creative outlets. Hmmm. Would that include setting up my dollies and stuffed animals on the basement steps to serve as a makeshift audience for me to sing Patsy Cline songs to? And no, that was not last week, it was before the age of five. I didn't do so well with a live audience at that age. I practiced my part for the church Christmas program diligently until I knew it by heart. But when it was time for me to say my little piece I spotted my mom among the other proud parents in the pews and ran for the safety and comfort of her lap without reciting my lines. I have no actual memory of this but I was reminded of it for years around the holidays so I have a sort of implanted memory that includes a vivid vision of the adorable dress I was wearing, right down to the snow-white leotards (now called tights) and black patent leather shoes on my feet. Later on I lost my stage fright and performed in high school, college, and community theatre plays, sang in various size groups, and went on to form my own musical comedy troupe (emphasis on the comedy, and now defunct) called the Wild Women in the Kitchen. There is video evidence of our performances which I'm certain I'll regret at some point when said video falls into the wrong hands. I've also done all kinds of creative things with fabric from costuming to sewing a wedding dress and many, many bridesmaid and prom dresses. I've made decorative pillows of all sizes and varieties and unique window treatments. I've sewn innumerable pairs of little boy pajamas that are currently packed away because I couldn't bear to part with them. I think the best sewing project I ever accomplished was creating matching Hawaiian print shirts for my sons and their father one summer long ago, the boys were aged 2 and 6 if I remember correctly. It made them easy to spot among all the other kids at family and other gatherings. I even have a costuming credit on a verrrry limited release DVD of a play that was produced only one time. I'm sure the limited run had nothing to do with the quality of the cow costumes I created. I can't say that I'm acquainted with anyone else who has a closet full of costumes, primarily created for Halloween over the years. We don't need to talk about any of the custom fine leather pieces...Oh, and I write a little. I've completed one novel, The Virgins Club, which is still under consideration by The Aaron Priest Literary Agency. I've made puny starts on other novels but haven't gone back to any of them recently. I write poetry almost constantly and submitted a collection of them for publication two years ago and must say that I got a very nice round of rejection letters for my efforts. I journal and I blog. I love to take pictures and swear I will never abandon film for digital! Another creative outlet for me is in the kitchen. I love to cook. I love to eat. I love cooking with wine and sometimes actually put some in the food. I heard once that cooking is the only art form that involves all five senses. Having never experienced the urge to lick a painting or a sculpture, I would have to say that I agree. Two sure things in life that I've been able to indulge in and enjoy. Motherhood, challenging and satisfying. Creative outlets the same. Now if I'd only hear from Paul Cirone at Aaron Priest. That would be deeply satisfying.

No comments: