Saturday, June 24, 2017

Full Circle

A number of years ago, yes, the stone age when I was married, I was on the phone with a friend who was telling me that Lyle Lovett was going to be making a nearby stop on tour. Did we want to go? They were getting tickets! Heck, yeah, was my reaction. A smaller theater venue with comfy seats. Perfect! I cradled the receiver on my shoulder and asked my husband if he wanted to go. He curled up his lip in disgust and replied, but he's country! I was stunned. My musical taste runs the gamut of genres and I rarely consider how they are classified, I just know what I like. And Mr Lovett was a favorite of mine. A little western swing, a little jazzy, with a mournful and plaintive ballad thrown in occasionally for good measure. And that voice! But I was deep into keeping the peace and making my husband look good at that time. After taking a deep breath to restore my composure, I raised the phone to my ear and heard myself making an excuse for why we couldn't go that didn't make him look like the ass that he had been. He eventually apologized, even bought me a couple of Lyle's cd's as gifts to make amends. In the bigger picture of our marriage this was just one straw that gnawed at me for some time, not the one that broke the camel's back. An opportunity missed because I didn't feel as though I could do something separately from him. That we were a couple, and couples did things together. Fast forward to this morning. Lyle Lovett and his Large Band are playing at Red Rocks next month. I bought a ticket! So. I have long since gotten over that humiliating and aggravating exchange way back then. And after living in Colorado for over a year, it's about time I got down to Red Rocks for a musical experience. See you in July, Lyle! It will be the perfect wrap-up of my birthday month.

No comments: