Thursday, September 15, 2016

Life Imitates Art

Down at The Crown Pub yesterday evening, I was immersed in the testosterone section of the bar. At the next table, there were six gentlemen enjoying the excellent food and beverage selections offered there. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help but hear one of the fellows remarking about an upcoming wedding. A wedding that involved his ex-wife and another woman. And not just any woman, but a woman who had been a friend to both he and his ex when they were married. That's got to hurt, I was thinking. Because I felt just a little creepy about overhearing, and because even though I'm an introvert I'm not the least bit shy, and, okay, fine, the man in question was seriously attractive, I thought I should participate in the conversation. By making a toast. Hey, it's a bar! Bar patrons conveniently have beverages right in front of them! It's a social sort of thing that brings people together! As you may have surmised, I have fully rationalized butting into the next table's bubble. I lifted my glass and offered an apology on behalf of all heterosexual women and then we all drank to healing his pain. It's good to embrace the moment. And I make it a point to do just that whenever possible. And how does this imitate art, you might be thinking. Well. The night before Tigh and I were watching one of my favorite movies, Empire Records. It's something of a guilty pleasure for me and I can't explain why I like it so much. The plot centers around an independent record store that is about to be engulfed and devoured by a music store chain. The assortment of quirky and interesting employees of Empire Records are not happy about this prospect and set about doing whatever they can to stall or stop the sale. At one point beleaguered Empire Records store manager, Joe, is asked by employee A.J. for romantic advice. The following conversation ensues:


A.J.: Joe, I need to ask your advice. Now I know you know a lot about love and women and all that sort of thing...
Joe: Oh yeah, my wife left me for another woman and my girlfriend forced me to leave at gunpoint. Does this qualify me?
A.J.: Oh yeah, definitely.

So there you have it. Women leaving men to pursue romance with women. I may live in Colorado, and I may drive a Subaru Outback, but the likelihood that I would leave a man for a woman seems a far stretch for me personally. Even if I own a plaid flannel shirt.
  

No comments: