Sunday, June 26, 2016

Riding the Ruby Slippers Express

Yesterday I was shopping in the neighborhood. Pretty much anything you need to pick up, even with only a moment's notice, can be procured within a couple of blocks. Primarily we needed groceries. And beer. Beer can be purchased without leaving my block. Let me say that one more time. Beer can be purchased without leaving my block. Any sort of beer you desire. Whether your preference falls on the lite or dark end of the beer spectrum, or somewhere in the middle. My local King Soopers does this evil thing on the hours of 4, 5, and 6pm. They bring out fresh from the oven loaves of French bread and cleverly position them in paper wrappers near the checkouts. And they only charge a buck for each one. Who can resist? I couldn't  Upon returning home with the week's provisions, including a loaf of warm, crusty bread, I had called ahead to request the son to leave his basement abode to assist me in hauling it all in, I threw together a quick dinner. I was busy putting things away and keeping an eye on the stove and cutting up veggies into bite size pieces. In the middle of all this activity, I was seized with a physically wrenching feeling. I set the knife aside and leaned on the edge of the counter and realized I was tearing up. I want to go home, I want to go home, I want to go home was the silent mantra racing through my brain. Following a deep, shuddering intake of breath, I quietly assured myself that I was home. Yes, it's still very new. No, it has not reached the level of comfort and habit as the last home. But home it is. Maybe it's just the kitchen. The literal as well as figurative heart of the home. I'm still learning it. Familiar things in unfamiliar places. As new memories are formed they displace old ones. I need to throw some parties here, celebrate some holidays, experience the full cycle of seasons. But mostly I need to continue the task of cleaning, organizing, and putting things away. There aren't so many boxes left in the garage now. Yesterday I cleared a path to the door and actually used it to go out into the backyard! What a concept! Getting to the yard directly from the garage without going through the kitchen and sunroom! I really do love this quirky little house and with each box I unpack, each picture I hang, it becomes a little more mine. Indeed, there's no place like home, and nowhere I'd rather be right now.


No comments: