Monday, September 28, 2015

Parent in the 'Hood

I just watched the pilot episode of Parenthood. It's been on my queue for some time but I just didn't get to it until tonight. Suffice to say that I am drawn in, hooked, already a fan. Echoes of my own experience as a mother reverberated with the revelation that Adam and Kristina's young son, Max,  may have Asperger's Syndrome. I caught myself tearing up and whispering out loud, it gets better. Diagnosis is the first step toward figuring things out. It will be okay. Man, am I going to get emotionally smacked around with each and every succeeding episode? I don't necessarily hope so, but I do like being engaged with the characters whose lives I invite into my living room on a regular basis. It's better than being bored. Which inclines me to not invite them back. We're talking real life as well as movies and tv here. Which reminds me of something my mother used to say. Hope for boring, she said, because it's usually otherwise.

No comments: