Sunday, April 5, 2015

Some Do, Some Don't

Aside from making me stay up much too late much too often engaging in binge-watching sessions, Netflix has done something good. Wait, binge-watching isn't good? Apparently I need to address binge-watching in another post. Today we are comparing sitcoms of the past. Upon rediscovering them on Netflix, I was surprised to find that some of them just didn't hold my attention, or even downright annoyed me. The following four were dropped from my Instant Cue almost instantly. Don't get me started on how it is merely My List now.

* Wings
* The Dick Van Dyke Show
* Soap
* The Addams Family

Others withstood the test of time, even though decades have passed since their original airing. 

* Cheers
* Friends
* 3rd Rock From the Sun
* Frasier

I have just sped through the first season of 3rd Rock. I had forgotten how hilarious it is! A spin on the classic fish out of water premise, the writing is sharp and and the cast is more than capable of delivering the fast-paced dialog. John Lithgow is an amazing, rubber-faced comic actor. And how adorable is Joseph Gordon-Levitt? The squinty-eyed French Stewart raises the idiot savant to new levels and Kristen Johnston is so damn funny in her delight/revulsion at being trapped in a female body. The roles are all physically demanding in a way that demonstrates how odd they feel as aliens in human form. I'm almost sad there are only 139 episodes. 

No comments: