Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Crap on the Curb


It is mid-April. Yes, I have filed my taxes. Yes, I have paid the first half of my property taxes. But neither of these is the subject for today. It's city wide spring cleanup! Where all citizens put their crap out next to the street for free pickup and disposal. But before the city trucks make their rounds, scavengers creep along the streets to peruse the range of merchandise. I like to think of this activity as the ultimate in recycling. In years past, I have put to the curb such choice junk that the entire pile has disappeared in short order.



Take note of this entertainment center, which I attempted to sell at two rummage sales. No buyers. I also attempted to give it away by posting this photo on Facebook. No takers. Someone wanted it, though, it is gone from the boulevard. I have seen similar pieces upcycled into toy kitchens as well as mini wardrobes for a child's room. I do hope that this is the fate that has befallen my discarded furniture.


Same history for this computer desk. No buyers, no takers. But within the first few hours at the curb the lower portion of the desk was gone, the hutch left all forlorn on the brown grass. The upper part left later, leaving only the plastic cd racks strewn on the ground. I really must get out there and pick them up and dispose of them properly. Also taken early was a rickety barstool and an office chair with its back missing. Two old computer towers were claimed by a highly organized troupe of fellows with a pickup. One driver plus two others riding in the back who hopped off and grabbed abandoned electronics from each side of the street. What remains awaiting the city truck are some carpet scraps, odd bits of lumber, a complete but lousy office chair, and a pair of dead speakers nestled in a styrofoam cooler. If you haven't gotten out there to shop the curbside treasure, the best stuff is probably gone. Don't despair, though, I have a rummage sale coming up next month.

No comments: