Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Moving On

No, the lawsuit isn't settled. No, my house isn't quite ready to go on the market. But moving is on my mind and I find that the more I actively move forward with cleaning out and neatening up and packing away things, the more it is feeling like reality. A reality I have been focused on for a while, as in, I am now in the fifth year of my five year plan. Thus far I have pared down my belongings quite a bit through rummage sales and gifting and donations to Goodwill. I estimate that one roomful of furniture has gone out the door, though another roomful is designated to go in the near future. Holiday decorations, collectibles, and books have had their volume halved. Dishes and other kitchen items must go, and my closets need a serious going through. As I take on one room at a time and clean and organize and remove the trappings that truly make this not just a house but my home, it is slowly becoming a house that will be someone else's home. This eases the transition in a way I did not anticipate. For me, selling this house that I have lived in for nearly twenty-nine years is just as much an emotional transaction as it is a financial one. I moved in as a newlywed and brought both of my newborn sons home here. Over the years multiple holidays and birthdays were celebrated. Family and friends gathered here, I am happy to say, far more often for joyful occasions than sad ones. I'm ready to leave, to move on to a new home and start the next phase of my life. There are still some sizable hurdles to jump but I'm ready for those, too. I'm not just waiting for my ship to come in, I'm preparing for its arrival. Once again, it feels good to be here.


No comments: