Monday, December 22, 2014

The Wisdom of Edward Hoagland

This certainly was not the driving force behind ending my twenty year marriage. But it most definitely has been the result! 

Many divorces are not really the result of irreparable injury but involve, instead, a desire on the part of the man or woman to shatter the setup, start out from scratch alone, and make life work for them all over again. They want the risk of disaster, want to touch bottom, see where the bottom is, and, coming up, to breathe the air with relief and relish again.

Setup shattered? Check. Start from scratch alone? Check. Made life work all over again, risked disaster, found the bottom? Check, check, and check. It's not all that long since I surfaced after exploring the bottom to all its murky boundaries. I am relishing the sweetness of the air that fills my lungs. Still a ways to shore, but manageable. I have no idea what waits for me there but this transformative journey has been worth the time and effort. 

No comments: