Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I Miss Carl Sagan


From his 1995 book, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. I think there are too many broadcast hours to fill on too many media outlets. Rendering lots of repeats. Whether the content is the least bit substantive in nature. I tuned out of pretty much everything but National Public Radio so long ago I feel blessedly unaware of so much cacophony. I try to catch the broadcast of Big Bang Theory most weeks, but that is dependent upon me remembering that it's Thursday and that I can get a decent, non-pixilated signal. Not to mention that BBT was on Mondays for a few weeks, completely throwing off my schedule. I opted out of cable tv twelve years ago and can't say I have missed it. I wonder why cable seems like a necessity to so many. But then I look at what's in other peoples' grocery carts, too, and wonder the same thing. I will own up to a mild addiction to Netflix and am quite happy to own dvds of many of my favorite movies. What would happen if everyone just stopped watching and read a newspaper every day? Smartening up seems like a much better alternative to dumbing down.

No comments: