Saturday, October 25, 2014

Season Five, Episode Seventeen

Just my two cents, if it's worth that much, on the Renee Zellweger brouhaha this week. It reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode called Number 12 Looks Just Like You. You can watch it here, that is, if you want some insight into how my brain works. I understand if you don't. My short answer quite simply is this. We are our faces. It's how we recognize each other. A familiar face is associated with all kinds of emotions and memories that we attach to it. A face that we recognize and love takes on its own beauty because of those associated emotions and memories. When Ms. Zellweger did whatever she did that so dramatically changed her appearance, for me personally, much of that was lost. Yes, she's beautiful. But in a cookie-cutter, generic sort of way. Gone is her unique beauty, that which made her her, that which became familiar to us over the years as she took on acting roles that came to define her. No question that her considerable acting talent still abides beneath the new exterior. But for me, the new is not the improved. We are our faces.   

No comments: