Monday, December 2, 2013

Tis The Season

Of letting go and leaving things behind. Things, and people, too, so it seems. The season of the turkey drop is upon us. The phenomenon of breaking up with a significant other now rather than suffer through until after Valentine's Day, and then break up after spending money on gifts and time with someone you'd rather not be with. Three years ago I wrote about this matter rather blithely but today I'm taking it more to heart. Because I know how difficult and painful breaking up can be, and it's only slightly better when you're the dumper rather than the dumpee. Bringing us to the photo of the ring in the upper left. It's mine. Originally those seven sparkly diamonds were set in yellow gold and the ring was presented to me by my husband to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. When we were in the process of ending our marriage I relegated it to the dark interior of my jewelry box. But then decided it was much too pretty to stay there and had the stones reset into white gold and had the ring sized to fit on my middle finger. No gesture intended. Except that I didn't want to wear it on my ring finger. I called it my emancipation ring and wore it proudly and regularly for most of the last seven years. Until this last summer when I took to leaving it in the shell shaped dish on my bathroom counter. I haven't worn it at all for a couple of months now. It's like I don't need it any more. Gold prices are up again and I've considered selling it. It might be time for me to truly part ways with it instead of just leaving it at home. Giving those pretty rocks and precious metal an opportunity to sparkle and shine on someone else's finger. Because isn't that what we should do with valuables, including the people we no longer feel the same way about? Allow them the opportunity to be treasured by somebody who deserves them. This all sounds a little self-serving but to me it's just a part of the ebb and flow, the fluid nature of life. It's about keeping things that are dear to you and letting go of that which no longer is. Oh, and I just watched Season 4, Episode 4 of Glee. Where pretty much everyone breaks up. The turkey drop is upon us. 

2 comments:

AndiBean said...

"Because isn't that what we should do with valuables, including the people we no longer feel the same way about? Allow them the opportunity to be treasured by somebody who deserves them."
Gods, I love you. This has been exactly my life for the last two years. So glad that these gems are finally starting to sparkle again :)

Bellona of Avalon said...

Loves you right back!