Friday, November 15, 2013

Edna's Garden


In the old days, children, when the Tucson Botanical Garden was a family home and business, a woman named Edna worked for the family. She helped care for the family's three daughters and grew a herb and vegetable garden. This potting shed has been preserved in her memory. So it was only fitting that my sisters and I posed for a photo here in memory of our mother, also named Edna. 


And this is mom and me on a much earlier visit to the TBG. It was on this outing that I learned of Edna's garden. Mom always complained that her name was seldom used in songs or much else in a flattering manner. And she was never a gardener, I inherited my brownish thumb directly from her. But she liked the idea of a garden with her name on it. So do I.


2 comments:

Alices Wonderland said...

Very sweet sentiment regarding your mother.

Growing up I always was frustrated with my name as well. Nobody was named Alice. Everyone had creative modifications. Allyson, Ali, Alicia.etc.

It became a lot less important as years went by. One day a vendor I didn't know starts singing to me mid conversation. A song called "Who the F&*K is Alice" by the Smokies. It was awesome.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks!

I had to grow into appreciating my name. I still wish my parents had agreed on Caroline rather than Carla!

Around the age of six I wanted my name to be Sally Ann and insisted on being addressed as such. Even in school. Mom had to come in and talk to my teacher. No one complied with my wishes.

At least I have a Teeny Beanie Bopper who shares my name!