Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Beer & Astrophysics

Last week I had the pleasure of drinking a Moo Joos oatmeal stout beer for the very first time. Due to the fact that I quaffed it directly from the bottle I missed out on two important things. Firstly, this stuff is darn near black! Light cannot escape nor pass through its totally opaque deliciousness! And secondly, the aroma. Drinking from a glass allows one to experience the tangy mocha aroma that rises and tickles the olfactory. Normally I prefer brown ales and will choose to not imbibe of these darker appearing beers. But I am no longer afraid of the dark! I will no longer judge a beer by its color! It's sort of a black hole in a bottle. Which leads me to wonder if the great unifying law of physics might be revealed if a keg of this stuff were dumped into the Large Hadron Collider. Of course the attending scientists should be allowed to drink Moo Joos during the experiment, to profoundly unify the observation in a whole new way. We will discuss beer as a religious experience some other time. Except to note that those monks knew what they were doing when they brewed up a vat of dark ale to sustain them during a fast. I like to think of beer as a bread smoothie, and quite apparently, so did the Brothers.


No comments: