Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Witch Promise


Back when I worked at the seed lab, I foolishly volunteered to organize the corn and soybean samples in the warehouse. Because I thought perhaps it would relieve me from some of the more mundane tasks associated with my regular job. And because I am a wiz at organizing. And mostly because it annoyed the crap out of me to be sent out to the storage warehouse to find samples that required retests or additional testing and be unable to locate more than half of them. Mind you, this was a peak sample year. Upwards of 100,000 bags of seed. Oy. I didn't have a desk. Eventually I got this cute little cart to store my various bits of office supplies. Sharpies, sticky notes, pens that actually worked, labels, that sort of thing. But for nearly a year all I had was a box. The box had a tendency to wander about and there were items missing from it all of the time. Especially the Sharpies. Grrrrr. So I printed up a little sign that I taped to either end of the box, which appears above. Then a couple of weeks later I dressed up like a witch for Halloween. Solidifying, it would seem, my reputation and removing any doubt in the minds of co-workers that this was not merely a threat, it was a promise. Never again did anyone mess with my supplies box. I still had to occasionally correct people when they called me the B word that they should more correctly refer to me with the rhyming W word. And I would smile. Because I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to hear the B word comments to begin with. It's the little things that make my day.
    

No comments: