Thursday, November 29, 2012

The L's Have It

Again with the birthdays! My two favorite childhood authors were both born on this day. Madeleine L'Engle and C.S. Lewis. You can pretty much sum up what I thought and dreamed about when I was growing up to what they wrote. This preoccupation persists into adulthood, as I find myself returning to Wrinkle in Time, written by L'Engle after being inspired by the writings of Albert Einstein, on pretty much an annual basis. I don't know why I love this story so much! Maybe because it's sci-fi with a little girl as the heroine. A little girl who is pretty much considered an outcast and a freak. Then she saves the world. Okay, what's not to love! Which brings us to The Chronicles of Narnia. A series I have read at least a half dozen times. Fanciful yet frightening at times, Narnia was where I wanted to escape to from my own life. A familiar place to go when I was once again the new kid in a new school in a different town. Sci-fi and fantasy, the seeds get planted early it seems, at least in my case. And when planted by a couple of masterful writers like L'Engle and Lewis, how could you possibly go wrong. A pair of Sagittarians who found a mystical path into the imaginations of young readers. Almost makes you think there's something to astrology.


No comments: