Monday, August 6, 2012

Rainbow Rant

Soooooo, let me get this straight. Simply because I am a heterosexual woman, meaning that prior to birth my proclivity toward being attracted to men was instilled in my brain, I have the privilege of stomping all over the sanctity of marriage? And my LGBT compatriots do not have this right? My point is not to make a mockery of anything. Except the notion that the ability to love a life partner, form a family, commit to staying together through good times as well as difficult, and have all the rights and privileges that a legal marriage provides should be restricted to the union of one man and one woman. When considering the divorce rate, clearly the ability to establish a successful marriage has little or nothing to do with your sexual orientation. It has everything to do with the human desire to pair-bond with someone you love. Let's move beyond this preoccupation with parts and plumbing and use that energy to right some of the real wrongs in this world.

4 comments:

The Cranky said...

Yup, it's post like these (and, well, all the others too) which keep me coming back. =)

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks J!

I'll try to be worthy.

Love the dragonfly.

Ed said...

It's that gosh-darned Puritan "ethic". It's gonna strangle all of us.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Ed! I haven't seen you here for ages! Welcome back!