Friday, August 3, 2012

My Fargo Adventure

*I sat next to a cool couple from Winnipeg who planned their vacation so they could catch MCC on their way home. Found out that the neighborhood where Colleen and I were hanging out two years ago is known as the murder capital of Manitoba. Oh, my.

*Often MCC participates in a meet and greet session following the show. Rub elbows with her fans, sign autographs. An opportunity to collect new and interesting remarks and questions, fodder for her onstage quips. Like, you sure switch guitars a lot, do you know how to play it? Imagine my disappointment when I was informed by security that she was already on the bus. 

*I did have a pleasant chat with the security fellow who bore the bad news, and he volunteered to take a note to MCC from me. How could I resist? I wrote a note on the back of my card telling her how much I enjoyed the show. I don't know if it got to her, the only way I'll know for sure is if she leaves a comment here...

*Not ready to head back to my hotel for the night, I asked Mr. Security Guy to suggest a bar downtown where a nice girl would feel comfortable alone. He recommended HoDo, just down the street. They had food, too. I enjoyed the hummus plate, the marble rye and tapenade were lovely. I also enjoy it when they serve craft beers in a goblet. It makes me feel all fancy and ladylike when swilling suds.

*There was no shortage of interesting men out and about. I drank tequila with Phil(l)ip, who was wrangling some sort of business deal with people in London on his smartphone. And what is this thing with chilling the tequila shots? You can't taste its deliciousness and the cold temperature nearly induces brain freeze. I must remember to request room temperature next time. For a while there was the new guy in town sitting on my left who was drinking something that had cucumber slices in it. He had to show his ID. Ironically, he is a bartender. Later, seated to my right, were a pair of fellows who work in the energy industry. I told them I'm an oil heiress, which is technically correct. Brandon found my tattoos interesting. He lives in Oklahoma, which was disappointing, as he was great fun to chat with. He chivalrously walked me to my car due to the lateness of the hour when they closed the bar and unceremoniously tossed us out.

*Having been off line internet-wise for 24 hours, I discovered once I got home that a friend had been at the concert, too, their seats were in the balcony. I met Nancy, her sister Irene (a blog follower!) and their brother Robert a year ago at the Red Willow reunion concert. Made me a little sad, it would have been fun to see her again. Next time I head up to Fargo I must let her know, she lives in the area. 

4 comments:

The Cranky said...

It sounds as though you had a grand time; good for you!

-Jacquelineand....=)

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks. I did!

colleen said...

Yipes! And it seemed to be such a quaint neighborhood. Amazing to think that was TWO years ago!

Bellona of Avalon said...

I felt safe, didn't you?