Monday, July 30, 2012

Flip Flop!

Normally, at least in the realms of politics and public policy, the term flip flop seriously irritates me. It's one thing to spout a different opinion on a particular issue every other day or depending on who happens to be asking. This is idiotic. It is quite another to express a difference in opinion over a longer period of time. Say, months, or even years. This makes sense to me. How else are we to grow, to evolve, to learn? I think it's perfectly reasonable to change your view as new information presents itself. It's not a flip flop, it's smart! Just today I became aware of two people who changed their views. Neither of them is a flip flop, at least I don't think so, although I have seen both proclaimed as such. The first is a change in opinion based on having learned new information. The other is more of a forced outing. If you ask me, we need to be more accepting of the fluid nature of ideas and those we choose to espouse. More tolerant of those who seem to deal with their own self-loathing by condemning the behavior of others. No one enjoys being in a closet, even if it's one of your own making.

2 comments:

Monika said...

The second is not a surprise. Aggressively antigay people always alarm me that their own sexual identity is in trouble.

Bellona of Avalon said...

A reflection of their own self-loathing. Hating is a learned behavior, shame on those who teach it!