Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rest In Peace, Nora

Nora Ephron. I absolutely adored her. She died today at the tender age of 71. Next to Julia Sugarbaker, Nora was who I wanted to be when I grew up. Born to writers, she and all three of her sisters became writers as well. She was a successful novelist and also published collections of her essays. When Harry Met Sally, Julie & Julia, You've Got Mail, Silkwood, Michael, Heartburn. She produced, wrote and/or directed a number of my very favorite movies. I might throw a mini film festival in her honor over the next few days. She felt bad about her neck, remembered nothing, and worshiped butter. Earlier this year she appeared on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! When asked what she thought the secret to a happy marriage was, she replied, probably separate bathrooms. I'm inclined to agree. I'm certain she had at least a couple more wonderful movie scripts to write. In lieu of that, her unique voice lives on in her books and through the many, many talented actors who brought her characters to life.

No comments: