Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Feeling Her Grief

A fellow blogger (although a famous one, who is also a successful entrepreneur and author) has something in common with me. We have both gone through a divorce. Though the circumstances and healing time are individual in nature, recovery from the pain and sadness is a process that takes as long as it takes. Not just time passing, but the conscious and difficult work necessary to rebuild a life. When did I start to feel better? This is my response to her question:


Truly, it is a process. I was married for twenty years and have two grown sons. Just last week was the sixth anniversary of the divorce being final, and it would have passed without my noticing except for the fact that it coincides with my elder son's birthday! After spending probably half of my married years unhappy, my first sense of relief arrived when the decision to split was finally made. Now I feel pretty great about my life! It seems that despite the fact that I'm half Norwegian I'm predisposed to being happy. The failure of my marriage remains regretful but is now simply a fact of life rather than a knife through my heart.

No comments: