Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Not Constant Gardener

South of the backyard fence there lies the remnants of a once fecund asparagus patch. It has been long neglected and become a derelict plot of noxious weeds and crabgrass. To the delight of my neighbors, I am in the process of cleaning up these areas of my yard. Asparagus is hardy even in the harshest of gardens, and miraculously, this one still bears fruit. Look upon my entire crop and tremble. I will steam this and enjoy it with butter and a squirt of lemon. I am, it seems, a true believer in moderation.

2 comments:

The Cranky said...

Asparagus is a heavy feeder; if you want to keep it going use some compost around it a couple times this year. It will smother out the weeds as well.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I was quite amazed to see that there was even one worthy of picking! I'm letting it die off, though, the nearby ash tree has grown so big that it shades the area too much.

It was delicious!