Sunday, April 29, 2012

Are You Curly Tonight?

My hair just doesn't curl the way it used to. The last time this happened was twenty years ago, when I was in the latter stages of pregnancy. After Reid was born, the first time I washed my hair, voila, the curl was back. My completely non-scientific explanation for this is the fact that Reid has curly hair. So clearly, he was sucking all of the curliness factor out of my body during the third trimester. Not sure what is going on now, but I'm almost entirely certain that I'm not pregnant. The loss of curl has been gradual over the last few months, the last time it cooperated and curled nicely was last November. Perhaps the Hair Fairy finally heard my pleas and granted my straight hair wish. Something like 25 years ago when I first discovered anti-frizz gel, I accepted and embraced my curly locks. Mostly because I prefer a low maintenance hairstyle that doesn't require a lot of time every day. I'm trying to do the same with this new hairy development.  It seems I'm not the only one who is baffled by abrupt changes in hair behavior, real scientists are studying this phenomenon. For now, I'm in a somewhat awkward transitional stage that requires a little more time and effort than I'm accustomed to. I'm using a super-moisturizing curl relaxing shampoo and conditioner, also a couple of leave-in products. Totally organic and formaldehyde free. I also flat iron, but only a couple of times a week. We'll see what happens when the inevitable heat and humidity shows up this summer.

No comments: