Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reg Redux

My phone rings. I look quizzically at the screen. Not in my contacts. I answer anyway, mostly because I've had great fun lately reporting telemarketers to the FCC. Somehow they have gotten hold of my cell number, which by the way, is on the Do Not Call List. But it's not an offer to refinance my home or sign up for a new credit card. It's Reg. He was on I29 and saw a sign for Brookings. Made him think of me. We talked for fifteen minutes or so. It was comfortable. Pleasant. No plans were made, no offers extended. Nothing that I must decide. I don't know what it means. Maybe something. Maybe nothing. What I do find interesting is that while I deleted all traces of him from my phone, he clearly kept my number. And I'm annoyed with myself over how I have allowed him to addle my brain once more. The feathered thing flies, it seems, whether you want her to or not.

3 comments:

Martine said...

A similar episode happened to me! I would like to have the memories of him removed from my brain. Haven't seen all of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" so I don't know if I really want that :/

Bellona of Avalon said...

Just added ESotSM to my instant queue on Netflix.

I honestly can't think of anything I'd like wiped from my memory. Maybe the garage door incident! Still suffering a little ptsd from that! Then I'd constantly be wondering why I have the scar on my forehead.

If it's true what we are today is the sum total of all our experiences, it would be difficult to consciously choose what to erase and what to keep. Sometimes unpleasant or difficult experiences make us better humans.

Martine said...

I couldn't finish watching it, the movie that is. I'll tell you why after you have seen it.
Character building usually is painful :(