Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Selective Hearing


I have been enjoying back episodes of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. I wasn't consistent catching them the first time they aired so it's been fun. I like to think of Ted, Robin, Lily, Marshall and Barney as my frequent lunch dates. I do not know how they feel about me. But today, while watching Season 4, episode 16, my ears were most painfully assaulted by, no it can't be, how could I have possibly not noticed this before, a laugh track!! I despise the laugh track. I abhor the laugh track. We know when to laugh! We know when something funny happens! Take the hint that we, the audience, don't need a hint! For crying out louder than necessary, how did it take until the 80th episode for me to notice this abomination? For experiment's sake, I scanned back to three earlier shows. And there it was, the dreaded laugh track. Could it be possible that I so deeply dislike the sitcom laugh track that I had tuned it out to avoid being aggravated? I could have very happily remained ignorant. I feel so used.

3 comments:

Tantra Flower said...

I also despise laugh tracks. I rather enjoy real laughter that happens when filmed in front of a studio audience, but that fake shit is just insulting. Like you said, we know when to laugh!

On another subject, spammers have been targeting one of your posts from 1999 for some reason. I've visited the post and cannot find a way to unsubscribe to future comment notifications (I always subscribe when I comment.) Maybe you can turn on moderation only for older posts? That should help with the spam. Sorry, Carla. I've been spammed before and it just sucks.

Good news, everything is still on track for July. Yay. :)

Tantra Flower said...

Did I say 1999? Oh my God. I meant 2009, obviously. I'm so tired. lol

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks Lisa! And hi!!

I went back and removed the spam, I should probably do a quick check of all posts to see if there is more. And check into closing comments after a period of time.

I'm excited about July, too! I should have dates figured out soon so we can get our plans together.

Your time warp cracks me up. Must be why I feel so much younger all of a sudden!