Sunday, August 7, 2011

Not So Mad (about) Men

It's critically acclaimed. Art directed to a capital tee. Well-cast with authentic characters. Snappily written. Yet I found myself frowning less than halfway through the first episode. I was almost disappointed with myself for not liking Madmen! Maybe I just don't wish to return to the 1960's. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I was seriously offended by the gyno visit scene where newbie secretary Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) is cautioned against becoming one of those girls when securing a prescription for birth control pills. Considering that the series takes place in the pre Roe v Wade era, I wondered if he was one of those docs who performed an atypical number of therapeutic D & C procedures on the side. Maybe it's because everybody is constantly smoking. Everywhere. In any case, I won't be joining the legions of Maddicts any time soon.

No comments: