Thursday, August 18, 2011

BTS!


Come closer. I don't want to say this too loudly. I love the school supplies aisle! Today I felt compelled to weave through those shelves of crayons and paper, glue sticks and backpacks, calculators and mechanical pencils. The elementary age kids shop with a parent. The parent frowns over the grade-specific list of items, checking off what is already in the cart. The about-to-be first grader solemnly clutches a Dora the Explorer pencil case. High schoolers roam the aisles in pairs or trios, sans parents, but clutching a parent's credit card. It all feels so optimistic and shiny. I move on to the Revlon aisle in hopes of finding a new nail polish shade. This fall there is no back-to-schooler in my house. I consider this fact with relief as well as longing.

No comments: