Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shampoo Chivalry


I watched Out of Africa last night, probably for the first time since I saw it in the theatre when it was released. I had completely forgotten about the hair washing scene! How much more erotic and sensual can camping get! This is going on my list of things a man ought to do for a woman if he truly loves her. It's right up there with killing spiders, unclogging the toilet and rubbing her feet. Denys Finch-Hatton (Robert Redford) may not have been able to commit to a conventional relationship with Karen Blixen (Meryl Streep), but by golly he washed her hair and danced with her. Another cinematic hair washing scene worthy of mention is in The English Patient. When Kip (Naveen Andrews) washes Hana's (Juliette Binoche) hair in the yard of the dilapidated Italian villa, it is with such tenderness and care every woman in the audience melts into a puddle of shampoo suds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's shirtless. Okay, maybe for me it has something to do with the fact that he's shirtless. As a devoted fan of Thirtysomething, I must also mention the hairwashing scene from Season 2, Episode 3, About Last Night. Gary (Peter Horton) is the guy Susannah (Patricia Kalember) really doesn't want to love. She protesteth too much early on when she assures him that there are probably lots of women who are attracted to his peculiar combination of hair and whimsy, but she's not one of them. Famous last words since she does go on to have his baby and marry him. I'm certain he clinched her affection in this episode with not only a neck massage but washing her hair. I'm pretty sure pretty hot sex ensued in the wake of all of these tress-maintenance sessions. To my knowledge it's not a standard form of foreplay, but this girl would place her hearty stamp of approval on it.

5 comments:

colleen said...

Any recollection of the hair washing scene in the '70s TV movie, "Dawn, portrait of a teenage runaway" with Eve Plumb and some really hot guy? Forty some years later, that's what I still remember!

Bellona of Avalon said...

I don't think I caught that particular portrayal of teen angst! Eve Plumb? Wasn't she Jan Brady?

colleen said...

Yep, that's her. And she's just as awful in the movie! Leigh J. McCloskey was the guy. Rewatching it now as I try to recover from the last couple scorching days outside. Lordy, was he HOT! (in a good way) Curious to see if the shampoo scene is as steamy as I remember it as a fourteen year old! ha ha

Bellona of Avalon said...

You have access to this fossil? By what means are you rewatching it?

How is it anyone could be hot in a bad way? Badness, associated with hot, automatically becomes good!

colleen said...

Found it on YouTube. I think someone lifted it from a TV broadcast.

Sadly, they must have cut the hair-washing scene. Oh well, it felt good to sit and do nothing for two hours! Haven't done that in EONS!!