Monday, June 20, 2011

Playing Doctor

Okay, so I've been dealing with constant pain and stiffness in both of my hands for over two years. In three weeks I'm seeing my fourth orthopedic doctor. We've ruled out a number of syndromes and diseases, among them arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. But nailing down just what is going on has remained difficult and mysterious. For more than a year, I've been Googling around with various symptoms and fancy names for nerve and muscular structures within the hand and wrist. I don't remember what magical combination of words I typed into the search window tonight, I only know that it led me here. To something called Myofascial Pain Syndrome. And it's like they interviewed me to write the article. If this is what I have, and that is yet to be determined, there is good news and bad news. The good news is knowing and learning how to live with it. Because the bad news is there isn't a cure. The damage is done and usually cannot be reversed. The healing over of microscopic tears from injury in the fascia, creating scar tissue (in my case, repetitive trauma to the palms of my hands) is what causes the syndrome. More good news is that the physical therapy that helped relieve the pain, the stretching, heat and massage, are the very therapies that are recommended for pain management. Further research has revealed to me that nerve studies are inconclusive. Check! Patients are prescribed many medications, none of which are very effective. Check! Patients are incorrectly diagnosed with DeQuervain's Tendinosis and/or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Check! Surgery is ineffective and often results in the return of symptoms. Check! Sleep is interrupted by pain. Check! Like my sister Pam says, I've got a diagnoses, what's your problem? I'd like one, too. A correct one with a therapy plan. So I can get on with my life. Freed from the Twilight Zone that is Work Comp. I'm not crazy, well maybe I am, but that's a whole 'nother blog post. Maybe I have Myofascial Pain Syndrome.

No comments: