Saturday, June 25, 2011

Coooooookiiiieeeeeeees!

I hope you heard today's title in the voice of Cookie Monster. That's how I typed it. But these things are experienced individually rather than en masse. Whatever that means. But first, a confession. Come closer. I don't like chocolate chip cookies. Don't tell anyone! Because the Committee on UnAmerican Cookie Activities will be breaking down my front door before you can say Orange Milanos. Which I do like. But because I'm a good mother and because Reid mowed the lawn, I baked chocolate chip cookies as promised. The first time I whipped up this particular recipe was the day before Michael was born. I was so enormous that I had one outfit that fit that I wore out in public and at home I lived in a tent-like blue chambray nightgown. Imagine this. On the day before her first child was to be born, in a kitchen somewhere in the midwest, stands a woman great with child peering through the smoked glass window of her oven. She is wearing a blue nightgown. She is weeping. You know, hormones. She is speaking on the phone to her best friend. I'm baking cookies, she sobs, and pauses. But you don't know the worst of it! I'm pregnant, and I'm baking cookies, and I'm barefoot! At least I think I'm barefoot, I can't see my feet! The cookies were a hit, and the most beautiful, smartest, and most adorable baby boy was born the next day. If you like chocolate chip cookies, I'm sharing the recipe. I can't guarantee you'll give birth the next day, but at least you'll have cookies. You're welcome.

Mrs Field's Style Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (measure first then grind to flour-like consistency)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz. bag chocolate chips

375* 6 minutes


No comments: