Saturday, June 18, 2011

All Dressed Up!

When Martine and I were in Omaha last month, we had to go shopping. Just a little. After the hotel shuttle deposited us at the Old Market and we had dinner, it became necessary to walk off eleven or twelve calories. We meandered in and out of a number of stores and weren't really looking for or at anything in particular. Then, this skirt, it spoke to me. Shouted actually. I had to buy it and promise it I'd get married in it so it would shush up.

Look at all the pretty details on the handkerchief hem. I had to try it on. Once I had worn it I was under its magical spell. I had to buy it. Come on! If I'd stolen it the skirt would have ended up being much more expensive! Because I look guilty even when I'm behaving and would never have gotten away with it.

The problem with a skirt, even a gorgeous one, is that it's only half an outfit. So later, while shopping with Colleen, I found this wonderful shrug sweater to tie on over the top of, well, whatever I found to go under it.

And what works better than a cami? A simple, no frills cami in a darker shade of beige. The skirt is turning out to be a bit of a diva. She's insisting on being the star of this outfit.

And as Miss Clairee Belcher from Steel Magnolias said, the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize. Who can argue with that, I ask you? All this beige required a pop of color, provided by this lovely necklace I found at Coldwater Creek. The little coppery hoop earrings go well with it and I already had the shoes. Now I just need a wedding invitation. And based on the promise I made to the skirt, the invitation needs to be pretty specific. As in a proposal. The line forms to the left.

3 comments:

colleen said...

Damn, you are honest and upfront!

Thing is, it takes only one. The right one.

I find it amazing that you are so confident, knowing full well that you aren't pegging any specific man at this point. Also knowing that you have very high standards, I imagine this as some sort of exercise in positive thinking.

Wow, Carla, how much I could have learned from you earlier in life. Take it as it comes, eh? You're a special woman, indeed. And I SO hope the right man is out there.

colleen

LindaCO said...

Beautiful outfit. I love that quote from Steel Magnolias and use it frequently, although I'm not good at accessorizing...

Bellona of Avalon said...

Colleen, I am continually amazed over what you admire in me! Often the same qualities that put others off. Can I clone you? Then all the Colleens could be my entourage!

I love Steel Magnolias, Linda! When my sisters and I are together we quote it endlessly. And I have a tendency to over-accessorize. Is there no happy medium?