Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Saturday

Liz, Michael & Reid

Highlights from day three of GraduWeduation Weekend.


*I was up at six to finish up turning the garage into a tropical paradise and to decorate that lovely three layer square cake. Martine and Pam were up soon after to help, but also because they smelled coffee brewing. Or heard the coffee grinder. Subtle is my middle name.

*Martine and I scurried across town to South Dakota State University's Spring 2011 Commencement. So it seems, did half the population of the state. Whoop-whooped appropriately when Michael and Liz crossed the stage for diploma conferment. To my amazement, I actually knew about a dozen graduates!

*Miss Pam stayed behind and put fabulous finishing touches on the decorations. She also managed to decorate herself quite nicely.

*After a quick stop at Hy-Vee for ice and whipped cream, we arrived home to find guests had beaten us to the draw!

*After ushering Liz's parents, grandparents, and other family members out to the deck and plying them with beverages, food preparation commenced with a fervor. Forever after my large stainless steel bowl shall be known as that goddamn bowl. I thank my sisters for making salad assembly so very entertaining. Although this could simply be due to copious sangria consumption.

*People arrived, people left. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. Much delicious food and delectable desserts were consumed. The party was declared a success.

*Late into the evening, board games were played and the last few hearty partiers gathered about the firepit in the back yard. The party lights stayed on for days.

*The best part about slipping into bed on this night was turning off the alarm! For Sunday was to be a day of sleeping in. Sigh. I am the mother of a college graduate. It is, I must admit, a pretty good feeling.

No comments: