Sunday, March 13, 2011

QoS, Day Two

What do you do with the glass doors you removed from the tv cabinet? First, I recommend burying them under piles of debris in the laundry room for a couple of years. Eventually they get shifted to the closet just to my left. After acquiring this lovely as well as highly functional glass desk, I thought, hmm, where did I stash those glass doors? They would work beautifully repurposed as shelves! But what do I use for supports, again, hmmm. I shopped around for glass blocks but was informed that I would have to special order and purchase an entire case of them! For something like $75! No. Then I considered the craft store version of glass blocks, but at $10 each I still thought it was too pricey. Wandering through my local nameless big box mega-store, I ran across these rectangular glass vases. At $5 apiece, still a little more than frugal me wanted to spend, I agonized briefly but knew they were absolutely perfect for my little project and grabbed four of them. I also grabbed a package of self-stick plastic bumpers. Once home with my vases, I assembled my shelves with a little help from half a bottle of Windex, a helping of elbow grease, and minimal profanity. The best part, aside from the fact that the result is just like the desk, lovely and functional, is that if I need four rectangular vases, or if I decide to move the shelves to another location, taking it apart and reassembly will be very doable. That sentence was really long. I was hoping those cobalt/white Ukranian style Easter eggs might be hiding near the glass doors/shelves in the closet. No such luck.

No comments: