Friday, October 1, 2010

Yes, She's a Pottymouth

I do adore Julie Andrews. It is her natal day today, she is 75. And fabulous. Several years ago, when appearing on The Rosie O'Donnell Show, Julie admitted to being a, gasp, pottymouth. Rosie was aghast. I was delighted. Yes. The portrayer of novitiate nun, Maria, and Mary Poppins owned up to knowing and using swear words. Wonderful English swear words. Excessively, it would seem. To the point where Dame Julie's teenage daughter challenged her to stop swearing so much. All right, said mum, if you'll clean up your room I'll clean up my speech! My children have never complained about my swearing. They're amused by it. Sometimes they goad me into swearing because they find it so entertaining. Meaning I never had the opportunity to barter my dirty mouth for their dirty rooms. I found it endearing when Julie's colorful language habit was immortalized in husband Blake Edwards' acceptance speech for the Academy Honorary Award in 2004. This, indeed, is true love.

"My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, the beautiful English broad with the incomparable soprano, and promiscuous vocabulary thanks you, and I sure as hell thank you."


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so shocking! Never would have guessed. Love your blog title by the way.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks for leaving a comment, I enjoy hearing the feedback!