Thursday, October 28, 2010

ByeBye, Pasties!


For this girl, the worst part of the mammogram has always been removing those horrible, and horribly sticky, pasties. I never was of the opinion that I needed to exfoliate my nipples. And it seemed those nasty little pasties did just that. Their purpose was to clearly identify the nipple tissue, which is more dense than other breast tissue. More dense or thickening of breast tissue can be a sign of trouble in there, so the pasties with a little metal ball inside were used as an indicator of normal but dense tissue. Enter digital mammography! And those evil little sticky things are no longer necessary! Yesssssss! And October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so for once I'm taking care of this bit of feminine business during its designated month. Now that the dreaded pasties are a thing of the past, maybe I won't be so reluctant to do this annually. Although next October I'll probably be saying, what, already? Time flies when you procrastinate.

2 comments:

colleen said...

I still don't like it. No part of the body is meant to be mashed so.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I don't like it either, but one of the less pleasant aspects is gone! And it is over with in pretty short order. Doctors of the feminine gender are working on better and more accurate screening methods that are easier on us. I'm certain a man invented the "squish & snap a photo" method we currently endure!