Monday, July 19, 2010

Just Past MidSummer


Is this the legendary summertime blues for which there is no cure? Or is it just another Monday? Since childhood, it has seemed to me that summer was on the downhill slide into fall once my birthday had passed. There is really so much summer left to be enjoyed. I just dragged myself in from a lovely hour and a half in the hammock! A still, practically bug-free, upper seventies afternoon lounging with the newpaper, a slice of cold leftover pizza, a beer and a nap. One of those rare days that only reside in June. Even though July is more than half over, the grass is green and lush from the rain that has fallen regularly. Most years it is dry and brown by now as the lawn turns dormant in the heat. Freeing us from the drudgery of mowing for as long as six weeks. The lilacs are long gone, but have been followed by daylilies, purple coneflowers, yarrow, loostrife, hostas, lavender, and Russian sage. Annuals in their potted glory add color in between, reliable petunias, begonias, geraniums, impatiens and my favorite pink gerbera daisy. There are still many, many days of sandal-wearing, bike-riding, and hammock swinging to be relished.

3 comments:

Martine said...

I'd like to figure out a way to spend summers in South Dakota and winters in Arizona. Enjoy!!

Martine said...

You have a black AND a white pair of those sandals. Bet you got the white ones in Georgia.

Bellona of Avalon said...

That's my left foot and Pam's right foot! I was wearing my black ones and Pam said, oh!, I'll be right back! She ran upstairs and came down wearing her matching white sandals with the flower on top. It would seem that we have similar taste in shoes. Although you convinced me to buy mine. Thanks!

When we're retired we can spend winters in Arizona and summer up here. Best of both climates! We can spend vacations in Georgia and wherever all our boys end up. Now if we could just do something about the mosquitoes...