Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Speechless


Yes! I am barely capable of speech today. Due to my lingering cold, or perhaps the very large frog, or very small ho(a)rse, lodged in my throat. Meaning that I am at home rather than at work. Drinking tea and tackling the mess in my office. And listening to Elena Kagan's senate scrutinizing on NPR. Meaning also that due to my laryngitis, that I actually have to be quiet and listen! I am incapable of shouting epithets and opinions back at the radio! There is a certain serenity that comes with my speechlessness, and this surprises me. I would expect frustration at being muzzled, but instead am rendered thoughtful. Hmmm. Acceptance and serenity so early in the day. Is this a sign of maturity? Okay. As long as I still get to occasionally have Orange Milanos for breakfast.

3 comments:

Ed said...

I should be rendered speechless some days. I've been pretty cranky lately and had the wrong tone in that little post the other day. I am surprised that you had no benefit from Jow. You are the first I know of. Yes, there are many formulas out there. What other topicals did you try?

Bellona of Avalon said...

Ed, I've missed you! Sorry you're feeling cranky.

Other topicals, warm paraffin with mineral oil, a hot/cool massage oil with eucalyptus and other botanicals, I have this great mudpack thing with a fabric cover that I toss in the microwave for a minute or so and then wrap around my wrists. They all help some, but the effect is temporary.

I'm still researching the surgery thing, I'm a little hesitant about it. I found a terrific blog where people talk about their experience with De Quervain's, I figure others who have been through this are a good source of information.

Ed said...

Yeah, I hate seeing people get cut up unless it's absolutely the last chance. Other people will be helpful, that's one of the best things about the internet.